I have been on over twenty beach club holidays during the last thirty years, both as a young dedicated dinghy sailor though to now being slightly less dedicated and with two kids, but this was my first holiday with Mark Warner. It was a superb holiday. The club was even better and with equally good sailing as the now gone and much missed Sunsail resort at Colonna on Antigua (visited four times).
- Occupancy = We visited on the week before most schools break up for the summer. I understand that the occupancy was at about 170, with a maximum of about 320, so just over half full.
- Food = Excellent buffet for most meals, with a wide choice of good local food. The grilled fish and the grill in particular was fantastic, some of the best fish I have had anywhere. My 11 and 14 year old children loved the pasta, pizzas, biscuits, and ice cream too. On four nights there was an a la carte menu with table service. These meals were even better. 10/10
- Room = We had a simple but decent two level family room with two single bed / sofas and a mezzanine for the double bed. A great plus = a powerful shower with good temperature control ! There was a private outside area with table and chairs. Could have usefully had a small table downstairs though. 8/10
- Pool = Large for the number of guests with good sized toddlers area, standing / larger childrens area, and deeper diving and swimming area also. A very pleasant setting with a simple but decent nearby bar and a small though comfortable area with soft chairs nearby. The pool was never crowded, and my children spent several hours playing in it every day. However many guests left towels on sun loungers to claim them for the whole day eve when they weren't at the pool for hours on end, as a result there was a shortage of sun loungers. This does happen everywhere, however there is ample space around the pool for about half as many extra sun loungers to be added, so this may be a helpful addition for the future. There was also a separate smaller toddlers pool, though we never used this. 7/10
- Beach = Huge sandy beach with no other hotels nearby and almost nobody else on it. I think there were some other people a mile or so along the coast, but you could hardly see them :-) Ample sun loungers and shades for everyone, probably still with spare spaces when the hotel is totally full. Some shingle and pebbles at the waterline. Beautiful beautiful clear water. 9/10
- Sailing = Originally I though that the beach team were a little short of kit. However I'm not so dedicated as I used to be, and many of the guests seemed to be of similar age and mind, therefore there never was any shortage of boats or windsurf kit, except perhaps for the Topaz catamarans, where two of the six were out of action with breakages. The wind was superb all week, with lower 'beginner' winds for a couple of hours each morning, and excellent 'intermediate' sailing breezes all afternoon. This was except for one day where the lower winds persisted all day. The sea state was never excessive.
- Lessons = My children both had windsurfing lessons and enjoyed these enormously, progressing well in their skills. The instruction was generally very good with the RYA course that my 14 year old son took being informative and good value, though private lessons as taken by my 11 year old daughter were a bit pricey. 8/10
- Hotel Grounds = Absolutely beautiful, with an abundance of well maintained trees and flowering bushes. Maybe we were very lucky with the time of year, but there were stunning flowers everywhere. Our room was near the central hotel buildings, but we walked through the grounds anyway even though we didn't need to. The groundsmen are to be commended. The hotel setting with some nearby hills as a backdrop is also lovely. 9/10
- Shopping. There is a small shop in the hotel, stocking basic holiday essentials. The local town was a twenty minute taxi drive away, with a good range of interesting shops in the high street. A bit pricy to get to by taxi though at 40 euros each way..., though there is a coach once a week also. 5/10
- General = We never used any kids club facilities, or the mountain bikes, tennis, etc. I understand from other guests that the mountain biking was very good, though I couldn't have coped with it as the temperature on most days was in the high thirties, even though the internet weather reports only said about 30 degrees.
- Summary = Superb, we will be going again. 8/10